Enrichment Project Idea List
Although gifted students almost 100% prefer to 'do-their-own-thang"
rather than a teacher-driven activity or unit, they often get stymied
when told they have to do an independent project for TAG and have to
come up with it themselves. This list should help - it is a list of
many enrichment project ideas I have compiled from many years of
teaching gifted and talented programs. Many students I have taught
helped in the creation of these ideas and I thank every one of them!
Please understand and help your students understand that projects need
not be a 5-10 page research paper on a given topic, but can be much
more interesting to pursue. A good project will have a PROCESS, a
PRODUCT, and an AUDIENCE as well as a TOPIC that the student loves
exploring. Play around with changing these variables to make things
more interesting as well as more appropriate to a child's preferred
This list contains a summary of the main idea of each project. The
details are clearly arbitrary. Pick your own or have a child create
the appropriate ones for their age and interest level. Each
one has details required that may not be listed. Any project a student
has already done for another class is not acceptable. It must be
something new. Students should choose something they like and have fun
with it. Please use these only as starting points and not the ONLY
I am hopeful that teachers of gifted programs and regular classrooms,
students, and homeschooling parents may use it to come up with good
project ideas. Please share this with your colleagues, friends,
fellow parents. Please include the credit and copyright information
ENRICHMENT PROJECT CHOICE IDEAS
by Wendy H. Chapman, copyright 2000
Courtesy of www.metagifted.org
- GAME - Create a game on a topic with instructions, game pieces
and board. Test it on friends.
- STRUCTURE - Make a 5 foot tall structure using 7 or more
- SCHOOL or TOWN VIDEO PROJECT - make a video on your school or
town's history or present
- HOW-TO VIDEO PROJECT - create a how-to video to teach how to do
something you know how to do well
- ANIMAL PROJECT - Write a 5 page report on an animal, a model and a
- MAGIC CARDS - Make up Magic the Gathering cards - 20-30
professionally done and teach someone to play who doesn't know how
- INVENTION - Make and build an invention that improves something
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENT - Create a new musical instrument and me up a
song using it.
- ROBOT - Build a robot that helps around the house
- BLUE PRINTS - Design blue prints and build a model for a future
house or other building.
- PUPPETS - Make puppets and do a show for the class with them.
- TOY - Design a new toy. Test it and write up the results.
- SPORT - Design and new sport. Test it, write up the results.
- COOKING - Make a new food recipe. Taste test it with a group of
people Write up results.
- MAP - Draw a map of what you think the US will look like in
2250. Draw a large scale map of the US in present and also present and
future maps of your state.
- PLANET - Pretend you discovered a new planet and its
inhabitants. Do a one page news report about it, a model of the
planet, model of the aliens, and/or schematics of the planet in space
and topographical map of the planet.
- ORIGAMI - Make 20 very well done different origami figures and
make a directions poster for one of the more complex ones using photos
or real life models for each step.
- COMPUTER - Create a computer game or program with directions and a
- TV SHOW - Make your own TV show or short film.
- PET TRAINING - Train a pet to do a new, interesting trick or set
of tricks. Show a before, during, and after video of the training
- MUSIC VIDEO - Create a music video using another musician's music
or your own.
- ORIGINAL SONGS - Write and record your own original songs (at
least 2 or one 5 minutes or more.)
- MUSICAL PARODIES - Write new lyrics to 3 or 4 well-known songs.
- PLAY - Write a live play/skit and invite other students to perform
in it. You direct it and present it.
- DRINK INVENTOR - Make up 8 or more of your own drink creations
(non-alcoholic). Present the recipes in book form and on overhead
sheets along with samples and a create a graph of taste test results done with
at least 20 people.
- CHAPTER BOOK - Write a chapter book of 10 or more chapters.
- MAGIC SHOW - Do a magic show using at least 5 tricks. (Costume
required.) Present to at least 3 classes.
- D.A.R.E. - Make your own DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program and videotape it.
- POETRY - Write a book of 20+ poems you have written with pictures
to go with each.
- AUTOBIOGRAPHY - Write an autobiography and include pictures. This
must have at least 10 major events.
- BIOGRAPHY - Interview someone living and with their cooperation
create a biography of them with pictures.
- TEACHER BIOGRAPHY BOOK - Do a mini biography book of all the
teachers at your school and type it up. Get every teacher's permission
to use anything they tell you. Put together a copy of the
book or each teacher in it.
- VIDEO COMMERCIAL - Make 3 different videotaped commercials for
something you design or think up.
- ENDANGERED SPECIES MOVIE - Make a movie about endangered species in
general or one type of endangered or extinct animal.
- TRANSPORTATION - Design a new form of transportation and build a
model of it.
- SCHOOL IMPROVEMENTS - Do something specific to improve the
school. First get permission from the principal and PTA if
necessary. Examples: Plant a flower garden, organize a group of
students to do regular weekly trash pick up from the grounds outside.
- WALL MURAL - Come up with a plan of what picture you want to do
and a location and get permission from the principal before beginning
anything physical. Draw the outline on the wall (Use an overhead
projector to project a sketch or cartoon characters, etc.) and paint
it. Make sure this project is supervised.
- TOOTHPICK STRUCTURE - Build a structure from toothpicks that can hold
10 lbs. or more. You may not use super-glue or wood glue to hold it
- ELECTRIC GENERATOR - Build an electric generator and be able to
describe how it works.
- SOLAR - Build a solar powered radio or anything else that runs by
- FIRE PROTECTION - Design new types of fire protection - including
better fire resistant clothing, a new fire alarm, etc.
- IMAGINARY ANIMAL REPORT - Create an imaginary animal and write a 5
page report about it as if it was real. Make a model and poster of
it. Do a classification chart of it and a food chain chart of where it
- VEHICLE - Create a new vehicle or device to help the handicapped.
- COMICS - Write a 10 page comic book or series of 10 or more
cartoons from scratch.
- COMIC REWRITE - Draw or design a comic book to retell a novel or
famous short story.
- COMMUNICATION - Make a new kind of or method of communication
(e.g., telephone, sign language)
- LANGUAGE - Create a new language and teach it to the class. If it
is just a written language, write a mini translation dictionary for
it. If only oral, teach at least 30 words and the alphabet. Or do some
combination of both.
- VACATION SPOT - Design a new vacation spot - maps, pamphlets,
- POETRY MUSIC - Write a poem and put it to music.
- PEN PALS - Get a pen pal from a different country and exchange 5
letters with them or get 5 pen pals from different states or countries
and exchange 1 letter with each of them. (Modify amt if using emails.)
- COOKBOOK - Write a cookbook. Demonstrate 5 or more of the recipes.
- SPACE TRAVEL - Design ways to make space travel more safe and more
- FUN BOOK - Make a 30-50 page fun book with word searches, scramble
puzzles and crosswords.
- SIGN LANGUAGE - Learn 50 or more signs and teach to a class or to
- OM BOOK - Make a book of spontaneous OM problems and test some of
them on an OM team. Set this up with their coach.
- SURVEYS - Do several surveys in grades 1-5 or 6-8 and graphs of
all the results.
- DANCE SHOW - Make up some dances and perform to several grades.
- NEW SONG - Learn to play a new song on an instrument.
- TEACH - Volunteer teach in a classroom of a younger grade. Offer
to assist one period a week for 5 weeks or to teach a lesson to a
- KANJI - Learn to do Chinese or Japanese writing - make a
collection of 10 samples.
- CHILDREN'S MAGAZINE - Make a children's magazine and have a class
read it and evaluate it.
- INVENT A COUNTRY - Invent a a new country. Make It's flag and
write a five page report. Show where it fits on the globe.
- MODEL FLAGS - Make cloth models of the flags of 10 or more
countries. Create a flag to represent you or your family.
- RAIN FOREST MODEL - Design a model of rain forest include all 4
- PERSUASION - Write 10 letters to companies that do something you
find very upsetting such as animal testing
to persuade them to stop doing this thing.
- BABYSITTING - Write a 15+ page babysitting manual. Take photos of
the children you are sitting to include in it.
- KNITTING - Knit something like a blanket or child's sweater or
doll clothing. Demonstrate how to knit to the rest of the class. (you
can do this with any craft.)
- PIANO - Write some piano music and perform it for a group.
- PIE MAKING - Learn to make the perfect pie crust. Make a new kind
of pie and bring it to class with the recipe.
- CIRCUIT BOARD GAME - Make a professional looking circuit board
game with at least 10 connections.
- CIRCUIT MODELS - Make a model of each type of circuit using
batteries and min light bulbs. Write a report describing each one.
- CRAYONS - Invent a new crayon color and contact several companies
to ask them to make it.
- READING GOAL - Set a high reading goal and keep a record of how
much you read. Reach the goal and then do a poster summary report of
each of your 5 favorite books or 5 book reviews (good or bad) of those
read during the goal.
- OCEAN STUDY - Learn about the ocean. Make an ocean food chain
poster and either a 5 page report or a wave machine AND a model of
your favorite ocean animals.
- MARITIME ZOO - Pretend you can create a zoo of all different ocean
animals and decide which ones you would like in it. Include at least
30 with several that hardly anyone knows about.
- WEB SITE - Make your own website about anything you like. Include
several pictures. Include something uplifting and a part that teaches
- VOLLEYBALL NET - Make a volleyball net out of 6 pack rings from
- HOUSE MODEL - Design a futuristic house and make a model of it.
- TRASH STRUCTURE - Design a 3-5 foot tall structure made from trash
or other discarded materials. It should hold together. Paint it. Write
a story about the character.
- BALSA - Build a weight bearing balsa wood structure. Try to get it
to hold more than 50 lbs.
- ENGINE - Make an engine that runs.
- EDUCATIONAL BOOK - Write an educational book that is more than 15
pages and has fun activities to teach about a topic you
enjoy. (e.g., some fact pages and some games - crosswords, etc. all
about the same topic.)
- HOT AIR BALLOONS - Make 5-8 mini hot air balloons and a directions
poster on how to make them. Write a fact sheet about real hot air
balloons. Try to come up with more than one way to make mini models of
- SIGN LANGUAGE STORY - Learn to read a children's book in sign
language and present it to the class.
- SIGN LANGUAGE SONG - Learn to sign a song and teach it to a group
or teach to a group of friends to present back to TAG.
- ROBOT - Make a robot that does something such as a motion sensor,
a timekeeper or a typer robot.
- KEYBOARD DESIGN - Make 3 different patterns of how to design a new
keyboard that would be easier to learn to type with.
- ELECTRICITY - Make an electric project, something that requires
electricity and has a circuit that when complete does something
- GAME SHOW - Make a game show - try it with several classes.
- STORY WRITING - Write a 10 page TYPED creative story and share it
with all classes of two grades.
- TRIVIA - Create a trivia game with a set of at least 50 cards and
- TOY - Invent a new toy. Draw up an advertising slogan and poster
and live commercial that explains it. Present it.
- NEWSPAPER - Make a newspaper about our school and run at least 5
issues. (This can be a team project.)
- FUTURE SCHOOL MODEL - Make a model of a school of the future. Explain how
it is different from today's schools. Do an oral report and written
- FAMOUS BUILDING MODEL - Make a model of any famous building -
e.g., Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa, World Trade Center, White
- PHOTO EXPOSE' - Make a collection of photos all about one topic
and summary about what you studied. (40 studied - may be two related
- TRAVELOGUE (REAL) - Make a journal of a trip you went on. Tell
what you did each day. Make sure you have a visual
picture/postcard/newspaper to accompany every day and especially every
event. Write a 3 page summary and recommendation of the neatest thing
you did on vacation.
- TRAVELOGUE (FANTASY) - Same as above, but with a trip you would
LIKE To Take to a real or imaginary place. You may find magazine
pictures for your visuals or draw them.
- MERRY-GO-ROUND - Make a carousel model that works. To be more
interesting, use different types of animals than horses.
- WATER WHEEL - Make a mini working water wheel.
- SCIENCE - Find a really interesting science experiment. Practice
it at home. Bring in materials and demonstrate to TAG and/or to your
homeroom. Discuss with your teacher ahead of time and IF possible
bring enough materials so the whole class can do the
experiment. Direct or assist the whole class lesson.
- COLLECTION DATABASE - Get a collection or bring in one you already
have of something like rocks or stamps, etc. You must have at least 30
items in your collection. Write a report or give a clear oral report
using samples from it as examples, then make a computer database
(list) of every item in the collection and a short description of
- WOODWORK - Build something out of wood. Maybe get permission from
the shop teacher and do during school time or after school. Explain how
it is made.
- WOODEN TOY - Make a wooden toy with a working moving part.
- DINOSAURS - Choose a type of dinosaur and create model of its
bones and another of the body. Write a report on it. Do a food chain
poster using other dinosaurs.
- CERAMICS - Make 3 or more fired clay or ceramic figures.
- SPARKLE JARS - Make a sparkle jar (the kind where you shake them
and it looks like snow) and a 5+ page story to go with it.
- TERRARIUM - Make a terrarium with live plants and fake animals.
- CANDLES - Make candles (wax, beeswax, oil, sand, ice) and teach how to
- FLOWER PRESSING - Do at least 5 different flower pressings and
make pictures from them.
- QUILLING - Do a large quilling picture or 3 smaller ones.
- QUILT - Make a quilt. You can get friends to make patches and then put
it together. Be able to teach how to make a quilt.
- WRITING UTENSIL - Make up a new type of writing utensil. It has to
- SOAP SCULPTURES - Make 5 or more soap sculptures. Write a story about
these characters you've made.
- SOURCES OF LIGHT - Invent a new light source. It has to work.
- PET FUN BOX - Make a fun box for a pet like a guinea pig. Write a
3 pg report about your pet.
- MARIONETTE - Make a marionette (sting) puppet and do a puppet show
- SHADOW PUPPET SHOW - Create a shadow box and several shadow
puppets and a little show to go along with it. Present to a class.
- WEAVING - Make a small weaving loom and weave a scarf or picture
- PHOTO STORY - Take pictures to create a story. Write the story
using the pictures.
- DRESS UP BIOGRAPHY - Study someone famous or historical. Write a
short biography of them. Dress up as this character and tell his/her
story as if you were them. Share with a group.
- STRING ART - Make a string art picture from a kit and then another
from your own design. Be able to show us in TAG how you make string
- SLIDE SHOW - Take slide pictures, write commentary and do a slide
show about conserving/saving the Earth. (This could be done with
digital pictures presented on a website, too.)
- CREATE A CONTEST - Create a contest for your class or your
school. Figure out rules, where to collect entries, who will judge and
how, and prizes. Get permission from teachers involved and principal.
- YOUR CHOICE - If none of these appeal to you, make up your own
project idea or combine several idea and write it up as a proposal to
You would have to do two of these projects to count for the full
- LIFE COLLAGE - Make a collage about your life.
- STUFFED ANIMAL - Make a stuffed animal.
- DRAWINGS - Do 10-20 good drawings. Show to the group.
- SCAVENGER HUNT - Make up a scavenger hunt for the class to do.
- JEWELRY - Make some jewelry like a necklace, a bracelet and pair
of earrings or pin. Wear them to school.
- HAIR - Make a new hair holder thingie - painted barrettes or new
invention - wear it or get a friend to wear it.
- SHIRT - Paint a shirt artfully and wear it to school (make sure
- POSTER - Make a 5 foot tall or long poster/mural that teaches
- FRUIT JOICE - Mix up new fruit juice mixes and taste test them
with 10+ people.
- WORDS - Invent new meanings for 20 words and make sentences to go
with them for examples.
- PAPER MACHE' - Make a paper mache' model of something.
- FLIP BOOK - Make a flip book.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE - Do a chart of foreign language translations.
- PAINTINGS - Do 3 nice paintings.
- PARTIAL FULL PROJECT - Any of the whole projects done with a piece
missing would be considered a half projects. All projects are negotiable.
me to contribute your ideas for the "Enrichment
Project Idea List". Please put "Enrichment Project Idea" in the subject header. Thanks!
© 1998-2021 Wendy Chapman